Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain


If you don't know about "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", then you have missed out on so much. Any commentary on English literature is incomplete without a mention of this book. Some even call it The Great American Novel penned by Mark Twain. Although , this classic is meant for children, but the book offers valuable insights into the American history and society. It touches upon the sensitive issues of slavery in the US. It is a sequel to "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer".

The story revolves around a young boy, who has an enthusiasm for adventure. He rebels against , what he calls, efforts to civilize him. Also, he doesn't let his difficult past damper his spirits. The story unfolds with many twists and turns, introducing new interesting characters every now and then. All in all, it is a hearty read best enjoyed with a mug of hot chocolate. I know this description sounds way too generic but I am trying not to spoil the story for you, that is, if you haven't read it yet.

My favorite thing about the book is the narration style. The linguistics represent they typical accent from the south. Some while ago,I listened to the audio version of the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Listening to the story in my bed on my ipod reminded me of the time I used to listen to stories from my grandfather. Now, that was a great time. You too can enjoy listening to this story. The mp3 downloads are available here and here as well. The second thing that, I love about the book, is a break from all the technology. Right now, it seems impossible to live without the internet and technology. The continuous flow of Sci-Fi novels and media seems to reaffirm this theory. But , after reading this book we are reminded that there was a time without all this digitization and technology. And people could live their life almost all the same and have fun too back then. Buy this classic book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment